The Latest Dietary Guidelines for Americans
Every five years, the government puts forth a revised Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which contains up-to-date nutrition guidance based on the latest research. The newest version, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020,1 is characterized by its practical, holistic approach designed to encourage a shift toward good nutrition habits through small, simple changes. The five overarching guidelines are:
- Follow a healthy eating pattern across the lifespan.
- Focus on variety, nutrient density, and amount.
- Limit calories from added sugars and saturated fats and reduce sodium intake.
- Shift to healthier food and beverage choices.
- Support healthy eating patterns for all.