Flavors can take consumers on a mini-vacation or remind them of a personal experience... Take a flavor like Tahitian Lime; consumers aren’t just sipping a lime drink; they’re also daydreaming of warm weather and sandy beaches. People are looking for new experiences in their foods and drinks. Here are some of the flavors we’ve encountered that satisfied and surprised our senses!
“Don’t be afraid to try new things; don’t underestimate the adventurous spirit of your consumers. They seem to be seeking out familiar with a twist! We are hearing consumers say “be whimsical” when it comes to flavors.”
Jenelle Ludwig Krause, Senior Product Manager Flavors
- Raspberry Guava Jackfruit
- Acai Pomegranate
- Matcha Tea
- Tropical Coconut
- Spicy Black Cherry
- Citrus Mint
- Apple Grape Sage
- Peach Mango Basil
- Strawberry Milk Thistle
- Turmeric Cardamom
- Raspberry Lemonade
- Strawberry Hibiscus
- Raspberry Ginger
Glanbia Nutritionals Tip for Flavoring Protein Waters:
Protein in a high acidity beverage (for example, a functional water) can come with some astringency and dairy off note challenges. That said, don’t be afraid! You can approach this challenge in two ways;
- Pick a flavor that’s good at masking off notes like tropical fruit, grape, etc.
- Pick flavors that naturally have astringent and sour notes to them. A good example of this would be a blood orange (masking, sour) hibiscus (astringent). You would take those basic taste challenges and turn them into a benefit.
Fascinating Flavors Creating New Experiences in Sparkling Water and Sodas
“Lemon-lime will always be refreshing and works with the bubbling sensation. Taking flavors that might be common and giving them another layered experience (for instance, feeling a familiar flavor in your mouth with the sensation of bubbles) creates an invigorating consumer experience that builds brand loyalty.”
Jenelle Ludwig Krause
- Lemon Lime
- Blood Orange
- Grapefruit Hibiscus
- Cucumber Pear
- Ginger Mint
- Sicilian Lemon
- Tahitian Lime
Glanbia Nutritionals Tip for Flavoring Sparkling Waters and Functionality
- If you want to add functionality to your sparkling water or soda, you can. For example, add a natural energy source or a vitamin mineral blend and include customized masking agents that cover any off notes and bring the flavors consumers crave to life.
Enticing Flavors We Spotted In Gummies
“While gummy flavors are well grounded in traditional fruit flavors like berry, cherry and orange, we are excited to see more exotic, vibrant fruity flavors and alluring floral and tea flavors. We’ve been watching interesting flavor combinations like fruits & teas and exotic & familiar fruit pairings which seem to be gaining popularity.”
Niki Carnell, Category Strategy Manager- Supplements
- Champagne, Brut, and Rosé
- Moscow Mule
- Apple Cinnamon Manhattan
- Old Fashioned
- Sparkling Mimosa
- Mojito Mambo
- S’mores (chocolate covered gummies)
- Coconut Lime
- Grapefruit Melon
- Champagne Wishes
Glanbia Nutritionals Tip: Flavor Gummies with Feelings
- Creating a nutritionally packed, bite-size gummy requires an innovative approach when it comes to flavors. Besides using the array of masking agents available, another strategy is to evoke new senses. Using a sensate flavor from Glanbia Nutritionals can not only distract from undesirable mineral notes in a supplement, it can positively reinforce the consumer experience and benefit. For example, a warming sensate flavor can remind consumers they are burning fat (and who doesn’t like that!). A cooling sensate could impart the impression of being refreshed or rehydrated.
Our Watchlist Takeaways
Consumers are becoming more comfortable with new, adventurous flavors. Don’t be afraid to explore flavors that also engage other senses. Different tastes, textures and smells only enhance the consumer experience.
- Floral flavors maintain prevalence with Elderflower, Hibiscus, Rose
- Botanical flavors like Basil, Mint, Sage, Milk Thistle, Ginger, Cardamom, and especially Turmeric!
- Tropical Flavors Expansion: Guava, Jackfruit, Asian Pear
- Additional Descriptor of Single Fruit Flavors: Asian Pear, Black Currant, Blood Orange, Sicilian Lemon, Tahitian Lime, Tropical Coconut
- Novel Flavor Combinations: Raspberry Guava Jackfruit is a perfect example.
At Glanbia Nutritionals, we understand the flavor challenges that arise in developing great tasting nutritional products, particularly with regard to protein or vitamin and mineral fortified products. Through collaborating with you, our flavor chemists and R&D scientists can create the right flavor for your product and help you carve out unique differentiation in the marketplace, leading to brand loyalty and greater profitability. Let’s get started!